How to Improve your SEO when things go wrong?
One of the most miserable things about SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is that even the tiniest of the errors can make things problematic for you.
Even with the slightest faults will make a strong impact on your website’s ranking causing it to drop drastically.
Many companies out there run after rankings so much that they even decide to opt for “black hat” SEO practices to make their Search Engine Optimization dreams come true.
But usually these shady Search Engine Optimization techniques do work for good and such websites get penalized by Google.
So, what if you face such issues? What are you going to do then?
Wait, no need to worry. Here I have summed up the way that can get you back on track with your SEO.
So, when you are facing major issues with your SEO, there are two ways to figure out where did the things go wrong.
One is, checking your numbers.
The other one is, receiving a direct mail from Google itself in Google Search Console. So, if you haven’t yet signed up for the Google Search Console, do that as soon as possible.
Analyze Manual Penalties
Now the mail that you get from Google in Google Search Console will tell you if the penalty that you received is a manual penalty.
Manual Penalty refers to the incident that a Google employee has gone through your website, evaluated it and has penalized you depending on that.
There can be several types of penalties such as link penalties, thin content penalties etc.
The mail from Google will tell you about your website’s problem thoroughly. So, if you ever get penalized, follow these:
- Figure out the cause first. Now if you have been penalized depending on the links, find out the links on your website that Google didn’t like.
- They can be anything starting from paid links, affiliate spam, international links, poor quality widgets, link exchanges, bad anchor text mix, comment spams, just anything.
- Try to fix the issues as soon as possible.
- Now, as you have mended the issues, send a Reconsideration Request to Google asking them to revoke the penalty.
Inspect Algorithmic Penalties
Google uses several algorithms to figure out the quality of websites before penalizing one with their Search Engine Result Pages rankings.
The most used algorithms among them are:
- Panda algorithm to check the quality of content
- Penguin algorithm to check the quality of links
- Top Heavy Ads to go through websites with maximum advertisements
- Payday Loans to find out the websites with spammy SEO.
- Search Quality to evaluate website quality.
So, if you get affected by any one of them it is bound to cause you problems. And Google doesn’t elaborate this. So, to figure out, you desperately need to go through these algorithms and perform an in-depth evaluation of your website.
Clean Link-Related Problems
So, if you feel that your website is in trouble post getting the manual penalty or getting fired by the Penguin algorithm, follow all these steps to pull through.
- Make a list of all your links. Though you’ll already receive a list of the culprit links of your website, the list may go incomplete. So, to get the proper data, use SEMrush, Majestic SEO, Open Site Explorer or ahrefs.
- Eliminate links that got duplicated.
- Go through the links carefully and sort out the ones that you require addressing.
- Contact certain websites and ask them for link removal.
- Now, if such websites didn’t respond, utilize Google’s Disavow Tool to tell them that you wish to discontinue such links.
Penguin Recovery Process
So, now if the Penguin algorithm has affected you, them a simple reconsideration request is not going to solve your problem for sure. What you require doing now is working on the content quality of your website.
You need to wait for Penguin to go through your site once again.
So, you might be thinking that you have all such links that affected your SEO, but my suggestion would be asking a webmaster to go through them once as they know the exact links that Google dislikes and marks as “poor quality”.
Continue to Improve Quality
Now, if the Panda algorithm has affected you due to your poor content, then the only solution you have is nothing but the quality of the content present on your website.
Google prefers original content of good quality. So, trying to keep on improving the quality of your web content should be the center of your target.
Here’s a list of contents that Google doesn’t prefer:
- Curated content
- Scraped content
- Thin content
- User-generated content or UGC
- Advertising-dominated content
- Syndicated content
- Doorway pages
Panda Recovery Process
So, if you get hit by Panda, there’s no need to wait for a very long time for Panda algorithm to make things better.
Though you need to keep on updating the content present on your website even throughout this period of your waiting.
Google automatically will land on your webpage once again and if it finds visible improvements, it will run Panda on your website all over again to fix things accordingly.
So, when Google drops bombs on your website, focus on recovering from your situation and improve your website.
Always, take this as a warning. Though, recovering from one penalty does not refer to the fact that you will not get penalized all over again.
Now, if you have any sorts of unsolved queries or any kind of confusion, you can just give us a call on our office number or you can just drop a mail at our business email id.
We are the best SEO company with 10+ years of industry experience with our enterprise level SEO solutions to every sized company, be it a small company or one from the Fortune 500 list.
See you in the top ranks.